Does Your Home Have Foundation Problems in the Seattle Area?
A majority of the older craftsman and Victorian style homes in Seattle built over the last century are in dire need of restoration or rehabilitation. One of the primary problems we see with the construction of these older homes is the compromised structural integrity of the foundations. Please remember, during the beginning of the century and through the 1960’s, these older homes were constructed with sub-par concrete, without rebar and customarily without footings to hold up the walls. We regularly see foundations with substantial concrete deterioration, large cracks, differential settlement and water leakage. This in turn leads to compromised structural integrity and future damage to your home. Our team’s specialty is to approach these problems with a comprehensive structural assessment. Our structural engineer will be able to provide you with professional recommendations to mitigate these problems through a variety of commonly used construction techniques. Some of these techniques may include:
- Pipe piles/pin piles to set existing foundation to eliminate future settlement
- Lifting/Raising home to offset existing settlement
- Demolition of existing interior basement slab
- Preparing new base layer of compacted gravel, drainage, vapor barrier beneath in order to pour new concrete slab
- Exterior perimeter drainage evaluation with professional recommendations toÂ re-rout downspouts from gutters into code compliant catch basins and storm retention trenches
- Waterproofing exterior foundation walls with Geo-textile fabric and footing drains